Wednesday, March 16, 2011

On Letting Go, Losing Weight, Etc.

Long delayed post. I had this idea running in time for an Ash Wednesday post but hello me. I'm still trying to adjust in religiously updating this blog. *Pat on the back* for managing to keep it consistent (for the meantime). Haha :) 

March means one thing. No, scratch that. It means a ton of things. For people in general it means: summer, end of school, spring break, a whole new month to target (awww life in sales) and the chunk of the Lenten season. 

For me it means I get a year older. Yipee ♥ ♡ ♥ This year as I hit the big 2-2 (I feel so freakin' old demmit) I have a bunch of things in my mind and a dozen couple of lists to make. Mostly out of inspiration since it's a fresh new year and things have been on track by far so why not take them a notch higher, make things more interesting and fun? And well some, I have to admit, I should've done ages ago but keep finding reasons not to, thus they are already non-negotiables in the list. 

This month, in attempt to help myself shed the weight I have drastically gained over my pill-popping addiction (no, seriously it was for my hormonal imbalance thing), I added meaning to my 'diet plan' by giving up my one and only love as my Lenten sacrifice...



Rice. 

Garlic rice to be exact. Well actually, the variations of rice don't really matter to me. As long as it's rice, I can gobble it up even without ulam. Hahaha :) I don't need to give up pork or beef since I unconsciously select chicken in most meals and entrees that I eat anyway. Plus I can't live without veggies and fruits. If I'm going to rate myself on the RDA nutrition and diet plan I can score an 8 (since bf gets me eating fastfood things) but I just really overdose on the carbs. I'm also cutting down on the junk (ever since I learned how to eat them again thanks to my unhealthy conscious officemates) and the sweets but I'm failing miserably at the latter. I tried not downing coffee in my morning routine but it wouldn't get me through half the day. So instead, I'm trading an extra half cup on the safe caffeine intake for a bottle of energy drink (i.e. Cobra Smart/Sting Strawberry) since it gave me hyperacidity for 3 consecutive days. 

I couldn't think of what else to give up since it's already difficult as it is. I've been trying this for the past couple of years but nothing seems to do the trick. I was thankful enough to have the trusty Diet Dojo in SOM Mall when I was a junior in Ateneo. I was able to eat salad for lunch for a couple of months (I miss their steak and potatoes combo and chicken with citrus vinaigrette :|) so despite my ex bringing me Starbucks and banoffee pie (our sweet craving back then) on a regular basis, I was comparatively skinnier way back then. 

I super miss those days. 

I've set my goal and have laid a strong foundation to achieve it. Jogging on weekends, no rice and... get this: a gym membership for my birthday. I was strolling through Megamall today (after field work of course, HAHA) and I saw the Slimmers World booth. I was lured into an enticing sales pitch right away. At first I thought it was hard sell because the consultant was showing me pictures of 'satisfied customers' and their before and after poses. But when he got to the package part, I was just stunned with a this-is-too-good-to-be-true mocking expression on my face. 

Their current promo entitles an applicant to an all inclusive fee of a buy 1 take 1 gym spree. So 1 month plus 1 month, 3 months take 3 and so on. The 6 month-offer was the best choice since it extends to a year's worth of membership for only... Php 9,600 (0% interest if credit card) and Php 8400 for cash (well I know where they recovered the cost anyway). This already includes unlimited gym time - use of equipment, training program with instructors on the 1st 2 days, locker use, AEROBICS classes - power yoga, yogalites and all those cool workout stuff which I'm really after - plus the consultant even threw in a Php 4500 GC worth of treatment if I bring a friend along (that's diamond peel and a Swedish massage hellyeah) and a free gym bag. I don't know if this is just me but Slimmers World is a very reputable fitness center so I say it's worth the deal. Hahaha. The only problem is where to source my funds for this seeing that I have been splurging on summer items, accessories, weekend beach trips and I have pending expenses like: gadgets, a Cebu trip, corporate clothes, hair re-perming and field shoes in my list. 

*SIGH* 


But anyway. I'm already sleepy and I need to rest for another packed day tomorrow. Will continue this when I have time. Up next: birthday stuff, business plans and long lists! Ciao! 


1 comment:

Sheenalogy said...

slimmers din ako, da. i workout in pasay road slimmers, or wherever abutan coz my membership is for all branches. :) workout soon? :)