Monday, March 12, 2012

Book On Board!

Life is a journey,we're all going somewhere, but where are we going? - Logos Hope 

I've been too many years late in finding out about the MV Logos Hope, just about the largest floating book sale that sails all over the world (pun intended). I read about it in a newspaper article that was posted by a friend in Facebook. Anything about books and book sales makes me go gaga ever since I was a kid. 


Before booking my parents for a visit to the South Port of Manila and see what was there to see, I did my own research about the MV Logos Hope. Apparently, it began its journey originally as a car ferry before it was operated by the renowned German Christian organization the GBA Ships e.V. Since 1970, its ships (Logos, Doulos, Logos II and now Logos Hope) have visited over 500 different ports in 160 countries and have welcomed over 40 million visitors on board.With a very inspirational goal of  bringing knowledge, help and hope to nations across the globe, it also allows citizens of various countries to volunteer, live and serve for two years in the ship en route to its many destinations. 


It was scheduled to dock in the ports of Manila from February 16 to March 14, 2012 and I was lucky enough to have time on the last weekend before it sails for the Subic pier. Stationed on Pier 15, right behind the Manila Hotel and past the Philippine Coastguard Headquarters it was pretty easy to find if you're familiar with the Manila Bay area. Since it was a Sunday, I told my parents to go after lunch because it opens at 1:30PM on Sundays. When we got to the South Port entrance, there was very little parking space so I guessed a mob of people must have gone to see the ship on its last weekend in Manila. 


Moving into the gates, we were welcomed by two ships. The Superferry carrier ship was nearest the dock and the MV Logos Hope was sitting majestically behind it. This was a pretty shot that I was able to take complete with an overcast sky on a late Manila Sunday afternoon. I could smell the sea breeze from where I stood. 






And the standing took long, mind you, because this was the queue that greeted us upon setting foot in the port entrance. 



 About a hundred feet away waiting to board the MV Logos Hope.



Crossing over the real gates, where we would pay our entrance fee and board the ship.

But the wait was absolutely worth it. Despite the long lines and our grumbling stomachs (a very clever mistake not to eat before going there), it took us roughly about 20 mins. tops to wait for our turn. Every 5 mins. signaled a flurry of people getting off the ship so I could just imagine how many people were actually in there. Finally, after paying a very delightfully cheap entrance fee of Php 20.00, we entered the MV Logos Hope for a real treat.

We were welcomed by a highly energetic crew, with the frontliner being a woman (a South American I'm guessing) giving us the house rules after playing a short video about the MV Logos Hope and its crusade. She was even chanting Tagalog words to relate to us and help us ingrain in our minds that the walk in the ship is a one-way system and that we cannot make "halo-halo" the books as courtesy to the next customers who will be coming in. Pretty witty at that, and I was more excited to move on into the book sale.



 Wall exhibit on the ship history.

Inside the ship were 5 different stations: the welcome area where we watched the video, the book fair area, the journey of life area, the theatre and the international cafe. 
Predictably, there were a lot of people on board that it was like mall sale of sorts inside the book fair. I had a hard time squeezing in past customers in the different sections that held almost 5,000 titles. Like the usual bookstore, the books were divided into catergories according to their general topics and I was pleased to see that the staples were there: fiction, health, biographies, cooking, children, spiritual, academic titles, etc.




My parents and I were not so keen on hoarding books since we were there mostly for the adventure but we grabbed a few titles that we found the most useful for home use (which I will reveal later). And well, my dad told me I could download through my iPad the books I wanted anyway and I guiltily agreed so. 


The books were priced per unit but it was fairly easy to remember because 1 unit = P1.00. The price range was fairly reasonable, though I could still vouch for cheaper books in real book sales. But the books were not all hand me downs and the majority for sale was actually brand new.


After asking my dad to pay for our finds, we then cruised through the other stations hurriedly because we wanted to get to the international cafe, to where the food was. On our way we saw murals on glass that told the story of the Prodigal Son, videos of life as a crew on the ship and a small room where a seminar on HIV was being held. 




At last we reached the cafe which was unsurprisingly barricaded by a long line of people yet again. Most families and kids had to fight their way to get tables.




While waiting in line, a woman went around and showed us the menu so we'd be ready to order by the time we reach the counter. 
 



I got us the quickest snacks: a bag of popcorn, a croissant (with chocolate syrup and almond slices) and vanilla ice cream. It wasn't bad at all. After it, we were ready to say goodbye to MV Logos Hope and make way for more people to enter the ship.





The book titles that we got were more on health, recipes and self-help. I didn't bother much on the fiction and biography since I still had untouched books here at home. We also got a bag for our books and I have to say that these were best buys that I can't wait to flip through. 


The MV Logos Hope goes around the world every year and my only wish for it is for more people to come and visit. An adventure in it once is enough, given the multitude of people who want to get a piece of that experience. 


I'm not sure if I'd be visiting next year to get more titles but I am interested to volunteer when it docks in Manila again. It would be truly great to spread the cause, involve people and help in a vessel of hope, inspiration and knowledge, in every sense of the word. 


No comments: