Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Bye bye love.


[from yesterday's draft - July 7, 2008]

Today I bid adieu to one of my true loves, debate in the form of Australs. It's the last day of elims and practically the end of my formal contribution to the team. Although I don't get to celebrate the last string of rounds in tonight's Socials in Alchemy, I'll be celebrating with them in spirit since the wonderful thought of being the 'runner' in this tournament has imparted me with such blissful memories. NOT!

Haha. Okay well maybe the thought of being a part of the tournament itself can console me at that. Running around fetching ice and eating pizza instead of doing secretariat work wasn't what I signed up for anyway. :)

The excitement ends today as the finalists move up to semis and then octos and then to the grand championship round in Meralco Theatre this coming Thursday. Then the debaters from Asia and Australia will have their last chance to tour Philippines and then off they go to their home sweet home. Awww. I am so stalking Faith (who's leaving for Singapore on Thursday) in the coming two days for my loot bag [includes: Shu Uemura sample products (sponsor of Women's Night), an Australs shirt, manual and other freebies]. YAAAY.

The hype of the tournament was just so ecstatic: seeing Aussies, Indians and people of different nationalities sharing one common passion and coming together to discuss politically relevant issues in the society. I hope Ateneo brings home the bacon this year and will luckily end up in the honor roll of the Australs - a proof that Australs 2008 was not just about us convening the tournament, but also a time to show that besides what the Philippines has to offer, it also takes pride in its people in this case, the best debaters. :)

So as the tournament caps off with just a few more days left, I'm quite thankful that I have shared the stress (though not as much as Bobby, David, Kate and Faith I guess) with all the other people in the Organizing Committee. This doesn't take place every so often and the next Australs in the Philippines may not be after a few more years but this was just a total blast. I would have wished to do so much more in order to really feel the Australs vibe (you know like sleeping in Astoria and attending social events or debating itself - HAHA) but it was enough that I was part of the behind the scene fretting and admin-dealing for the event to be successful. I was able to bond with people along the way and though I miss the debating scene for quite so long, I know I may never be able to do it as often again. Nonetheless, this experience has helped me grow into not only the debater that I once was, or still am but hopefully the lawyer/career woman that I will be in the future.

NAAAKS.<3

No comments: